With the season of Spring upon us, I'm reminded of all sorts of animals coming out of their winter hiding to once again explore the world around them. Recently I've spotted quite a few of them in our yard, along with lots of birds. I so enjoy waking to the sound of birds chirping outside and doves cooing their love songs. I've put out a variety of seeds in our numerous bird feeders to lure them in! A playful squirrel was spotted grooming his tail just yesterday, and a large family of deer, or possibly two families, made their way down the hillside to cross the creek a few days ago.
Bunnies are some of my favorite little critters to watch at play in our yard. One book collection I couldn't live without is: http://www.amazon.com/Beatrix-Potter-Complete-Tales/dp/072325804X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301293164&sr=1-1. We have read these stories over and over again and never tire of them! Beautiful illustrations and rich text about all of these beloved critters! Any book by Jim Arnosky is good. James Herriot's Treasury for Children is another must have http://www.amazon.com/James-Herriots-Treasury-Children-Creatures/dp/0312085125/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301293341&sr=1-1.
Raccoons are plentiful around here. I have pictures of a mama raccoon with her two young, climbing and eating from our bird feeders last late Spring.
Chipmunks visit our porch quite often. It's so sweet watching them stuff their cheeks full with as much seed as they can!
I have journaled about all of these and more. Keeping a nature journal is something I enjoy tremendously. It's fun for the whole family. "Keeping a Nature Journal" by Clare Walker Leslie http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Nature-Journal-Discover-Seeing/dp/1580174930/ref=pd_sim_b_2, is a book I highly recommend. In it's description it says~ "You can experience a spirited yet tranquil exploration of the living world by creating your own nature journal. In any season, in any weather, and any place, nature journaling compels us to slow down, observe, reflect, and once again, embrace our connection to the living mosaic that is our environment."
Another good book, http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Days-Creating-Discovery-Journals/dp/1576360733, is called "Wild Days: Creating Discovery Journals".
Really, all you need is some paper, pencil or pen, crayons, or just whatever you choose, and the great outdoors!
Have fun! Start a new adventure!
Happy journaling, discovering, and reading!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment